I suggest you ...

There should be a mechanism to let people make minor changes without altering the attribution

I've noticed that zkim went through and made minor changes to the examples that I wrote. As he made these changes, the author change to "zkim." There should be a mechanism whereby ClojureDocs decides if the change is large enough to warrant changing the author.

This could be automatic or something a person does. For instance, PmWiki has a checkbox reading "This is a minor change."

It is discouraging for someone to spend time helping the community fill out the documentation only to find their attribution removed. Worse yet, looking up documentation that you wrote and finding it attributed to someone else entirely.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MilesMiles shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • zkimAdminzkim (Admin, ClojureDocs) commented  · 

Sounds like a good idea.

I'll put some thought into it, but off the top of my head there are two ways to handle this, either the 'PmWiki method' or just attribute to the main author regardless (the idea being that any changes would be minor edits anyway, significant changes would warrant a new example altogether).

Also, original author and edits are tracked in the database. For example, the view changes page for byte (http://clojuredocs.org/examples/view_changes/388) shows all changes (and who made them) back to the original submission. This, however, isn't reflected well in some areas.

Feedback and Knowledge Base